08 March 2011

40 Days of Homemade (Food)

Several weeks ago, I made a proposal to my husband that during Lent, we eat every meal at home, aka homemade goodness. Of course, he would not come home from work to eat lunch here but rather take his lunch with him every day and not purchase it from some cheap crappy place. At first, he nixed the idea citing how he couldn't live without Chinese food or something. Later, I revisited the idea and told him I would accept his compromise if it meant that we would up the number of homemade meals we consume.

So, starting tomorrow, I will be cooking 3 times a day, 7 days a week. Oh wait, don't I do that now as it is? The unfortunate answer is no, not really. While I do cook almost all of our meals, we eat from restaurants far more often than I'd like. Specifically, Steve eats from restaurants far more often than I'd like. I am hoping that limiting "outside" food will help all of us in one way or another, forcing me to try new recipes and think outside my comfort zone and helping Steve see that it is possible to enjoy food that wasn't 'manufactured.'

Steve also surprised me by adding an addendum to this Lenten offering, vowing to drink only water the entire time. This means no soda, juice, Dunkin Donuts iced coffee (gasp!) or honest tea. Though he has allotted for 4 slip-ups where he will consume honest tea and I'm OK with that. All in all, I'm looking forward to proving that this is possible for us and it could make us a better family. Now if we could only get rid of the TV....

No comments:

Post a Comment