14 April 2011

Chocolate. Need I Say More?

I do not like sweets. I hate doughnuts, Twinkies, cheesecake and any type of frosting that isn't made from whipped cream. So believe me when I say this: If you make these cupcakes, you will eat all of them. Immediately.

My mother made this recipe for her birthday to treat herself (because she has been following Weight Watchers) and I'm pretty sure that in two days time, I ate about 5 of these things (which is A LOT for me). Hey, I didn't want the whipped cream to go to waste!

Double Chocolate Cupcakes (From the Light & Easy Cooking Collection)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice
1/3 cup water
3 tblsp vegetable oil
1 tblsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate mini-morsels
1 tsp powdered sugar (I think this is technically optional)

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl; make a well in the center of mixture. Combine orange juice, water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Fold in the chocolate morsels.

Spoon into foil or paper-lined muffin pans, filling two-thirds full. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans immediately; cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yield: 1 dozen (about 153 calories each).

Instead of sprinkling with powdered sugar, we dipped the tops of the cupcakes in whipped cream and sprinkled extra mini chocolate chips on top of that. Hold me back.

You must make these!

3 comments:

  1. These sounds soooooooo good! We are so much alike with the whole not-liking sweets thing. I can't stand frosting either unless it's the whipped-cream kind! I don't really even enjoy pancakes or waffles or those types of things cuz they verge on being too sweet for me... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The deliciousness of these was indescribable. Minus the word delicious.

    I don't eat pancakes either, even when I make them for H & P...although I usually don't have a choice as to whether or not I eat them because they tend to disappear.

    ReplyDelete