16 February 2011

Things I Love #2

I love Bragg's Amino Acids.


I grew up with Maggi seasoning, which no one has ever heard of, and I love it. It has changed since I was a child and it is now very hard to find the original version I know so well. This may be a good thing because it is extremely high in sodium and also contains MSG. I know, it's terrible, but I love it. There are very few recipes I use it in now, but sometimes you just need a certain taste (like when I make sauerkraut) so I'll grab the familiar bottle for a few shakes.

A few years ago, my mother started using Bragg's liquid aminos and urged me to do the same. She said it tasted the same as Maggi but without the high sodium and MSG. When I first sampled it, however, I did not agree. I didn't like the taste that much and certainly didn't think it tasted like my familiar Maggi. As time went on though, I started to change my mind. First, Wegman's in Dickson City, PA stopped carrying the version of Maggi that I used regularly. We bought just about every bottle that was on the shelf, but I knew they wouldn't last forever and since I wanted to share that taste with my children some day, I needed to find an alternate seasoning. So, I turned to Bragg's and this time, I really enjoyed it!

Rather than go through a lengthy explanation, I'll paste the description of this lovely product directly from their website:

"Bragg Liquid Aminos is a Certified NON-GMO liquid protein concentrate, derived from healthy soybeans, that contains the following Essential and Non-essential Amino Acids in naturally occurring amounts:

16 Amino Acids

* Alanine
* Arginine
* Aspartic Acid
* Glutamic Acid
* Glycine
* Histidine
* Isoleucine
* Leucine
* Methionine
* Phenylalanine
* Proline
* Serine
* Threonine
* Tyrosine
* Valine
* Lysine "
(This information was taken from the Bragg's website, found here.)

So why is Bragg's so great? It has all the salty flavor you could want but it actually gives you protein! It's non-GMO and gives an added level of tastiness to just about anything. I sprinkle some in Heidi's scrambled eggs and I use it to make my own salad dressing. Technically, it is not the same taste as Maggi, nor as soy sauce, but it is a very viable replacement because using it is a win-win for everyone.

I must say that I am in no way being compensated for this post, with the exception of the tastiness of Bragg's. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to eat healthier without adding salt.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds great! My mom is kind of anti-soy, but I say anything in moderation should be alright. Thanks for sharing this info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, moderation is key! This is the only soy that we consume, so I like to think it's OK :)

    ReplyDelete