03 September 2011

The Gratitude Post

I'm writing a weekly post to express gratitude for everything I have been blessed with in my life. Will you join me in sharing just five things you are grateful for this week?

This week I'm grateful for:

A place to go: This past Friday, I left my home in preparation for the hurricane. I am not someone who panics easily, but since we have lost power before during minor storms, I presumed we would lose power for a longer stretch during this larger one. Thus, I ate much of what was in the fridge and freezer before I left and took what I could with me 2 hours northwest to my father's house. We did not get any water despite being about 500 feet from the river, but we did lose power for about two days. Since that is never an ideal situation for someone with small children, I am grateful I had somewhere to go where I could continue to live a "normal" life.

Awesome friends: Being home this week, I was able to see several of my friends again unexpectedly. In particular, I got to see my friend Stephani at The O'Hara Family who came through for me YET AGAIN by giving me a small bag of her homemade laundry detergent. "Idiot" me left my cloth diaper detergent at home and I was in dyre need of something, ANYTHING that I could wash my diapers in. (So far it's working well. *crossing fingers*) Stephani, and all my other friends, are awesome.

Guest Posters: I finally put the call out looking for guest posts since I'm going to be out of it a lot over the next month. I don't like to ask for help (ever), but since I have written so many guest posts for other people, I thought it might be nice to get some back. Expect a few (I hope :) ).

The Earth: My physical home. I'm glad I live here. I'm also thankful for the constant reminders that the Earth is ALIVE. It's not some dead thing that we can do whatever we please to. She's not going to take it anymore.

My children: I am always so glad that my children are my children, but given the amount of traveling we have done this past week, leaving our house without giving them hardly any notice and spending a lot of time in a house they haven't spent much time in before, I am even more proud of who they are. They have been so good throughout all of this and I am so impressed with them. Thank you for being my children.


9 comments:

  1. What a good idea! Perhaps I will start a weekly gratitude post as well. I love that you have awesome friends-- those are hard to come by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're safe after the hurricane! We lost power too, but only during the day, so it was a nice respite from the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grateful posts are inspiring :-) And I'd give you all your detergent free if I got to see you more! It was great to see you briefly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are blessed to have such wonderful friends. Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always happy for my friends! I actually think about them so much more than they probably know and I think about how wonderful they are :)

    Gaby I actually wanted to start a weekly no-computer day, but so far..I only did it for one week. :)

    Thank you again Stephani! I enjoyed seeing you and Allison very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd like to do this. I don't know if I can think of new thins each week though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, theoretically Autumn, you could totally have the same things each week. I mean, you're always grateful for them, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another inspiring list Amanda. Great that you got to be safe and catch up with friends and family. I'm all with you on Gratitude for the Earth - nothing else is possible without this Mother!

    ReplyDelete