11 April 2011

I've Kept this Piece of Paper for a Long Time

In one of her classes, Barbara Hoffman handed us this poem by Taylor Mali. It is as true now as it was then or perhaps even more so. I have always found it to be the perfect way to wake people up about speech, grammar and general English principles and think it should become more mainstream. Since I don't want to get in trouble by putting this poem on my blog, I'm just going to link to it and pray that you all follow! I promise you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love that poem! Upspeak. It kills me. There's this particular commercial online right now where this otherwise well-groomed, mature woman ends her declaration with a question in her voice, and I just want to say, "Well, are you sure or are you not?"

    I could totally hear that poem being read at a poetry slam. Very fun, and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete