05 April 2011

Fresh Tomato and Arugula Pasta

8 ounces dried ziti or mostaccioli
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tblsp olive oil
4 - 6 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional, but I used it)
3 cups arugula and/or spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted (I didn't do this)
2 tblsp crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese (I'd rather vomit than eat this)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender. Add tomatoes, salt, black pepper and if desired, red pepper. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 2 minutes or until the tomatoes are warm and release some of their juices. Stir in arugula and/or spinach; heat just until greens are wilted.
3. To serve, top pasta with tomato mixture; sprinkle with toasted nuts and cheese.

I think this has a lot of potential, but for whatever reason, the arugula that I used did absolutely nothing for this dish. The only spiciness I tasted was from the red pepper flakes. I might try making it again with just spinach or maybe really fresh arugula or even asparagus (like I wanted to but time ran away from me). Nevertheless, Piper ate a ton of it, but that is to be expected because she'll eat anything since she is awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment