28 October 2011

Yeah, I'm Pretty Cool

Welcome to the I Love Me! Carnival!



This post was written for inclusion in the I Love Me! Carnival hosted by Amy at Anktangle. This carnival is all about love of self, challenging you to lift yourself up, just for being you.



Please read to the bottom to find a list of submissions from the other carnival participants.



Oddly enough, I’ve always liked myself (and still do). I say this is odd because just about everyone I know has something she desires to change about herself, no matter her age or status in life. I’ve never really felt this way, which is probably weird, but since I have such a high respect for my body and myself, I hope to develop this in my children before they begin heavy interactions with others.

I have never had many issues with self-image in my life, though I did dabble in a few unfortunate practices during my early teen years. This was more about an attempt to sympathize with the individuals who did it for other reasons and understand the methods for which people engage in these activities, than me actually doing it to defile my body. I’ve tried to do “bad” things to myself before, but find I just can’t. In all my years of living, I have only changed my hair once (in terms of its color) when I had a friend put highlights in it. I hated it and haven’t done anything since.

Obviously, I’m not telling you that coloring your hair is bad (even though most methods are just heavy chemicals that I wouldn’t wish on anyone); it just isn’t my thing. I truly, honestly like myself just the way I am. Why? Because I have a deep, heavy belief that I am the way I am for a reason. I was made this way, exactly, in order to serve some purpose in this world. If I was made on purpose, why would I want to change anything about myself?

It is this belief that I wish to instill in my children. They, too, were made they way they are purposefully and as they are, they are perfect. When they grow up knowing these facts, they will develop the same self-respect that I have. When one has such a degree of self-respect, one is far less likely to engage in any activity that will harm one’s body-temple. Most of the time, I think I’m pretty cool and I desperately hope that this “coolness” will rub off.


Thank you for reading this post from the I Love Me! Carnival. Please take some time to read the contributions from the
other carnival participants:


(This list will be updated by the afternoon of October 28th with all the carnival links.)




  • The Art of Being Thoughtful – Becky at Old New Legacy likes that she is mostly thoughtful but wants to become more thoughtful. She shares a story that demonstrates that giving gifts doesn't have to be expensive.
  • I love me (and running)! – Sheryl of Little Snowflakes writes about her new love of running and how it has helped her learn to love herself!
  • For the Love of Moe – Valerie at Momma in Progress shares her thoughts on a body forever changed, but forever loved.
  • Where I Find My Worth – Sarah at Parenting God's Children shares how finding her worth in worldly things always falls short.
  • Oh Yeah, I'm Cool – Tree at Mom Grooves shares her very favorite gift and the thing she most wants to pass on to her daughter.
  • Loving – Rosemary at Rosmarinus Officinalis talks about some of the things she loves about herself - some easily, and some by choice for the sake of healing.
  • Baby Strikes A Pose – Emma from Your Fonder Heart writes about her family's decision not to let their 7 month old model, and uses the opportunity to think more deeply about girls (young and old) and how they determine their self-worth.
  • I Love Me! - A Rampage of Appreciation! – Terri at Child of the Nature Isle stops waiting for anyone else to tell her she is wonderful and goes on a rampage of appreciation for herself!
  • Raising Healthy Daughters – In a guest post at Natural Parents Network, Kate Wicker offers tips to pass on a healthy self-image to the young ladies in our care.
  • Unexpected Benefits of a Healthy Pregnancy – How does it feel to have a healthy pregnancy? Dionna at Code Name: Mama discovers that making positive choices can be empowering.
  • Filling Up Our Watering Cans – Nada at miniMOMist believes that practicing Sabbath is the same as being a gardener who lovingly tends to the flowers in her garden. She needs to fill up her watering can first.
  • Better Body by Baby – Jess from Mama 'Roo and Family Too! shares how having her first baby makes her feel even more beautiful and confident about her body than ever before.
  • These Breasts Were Made for Nursing – Becoming a mother helped Mandy from Living Peacefully with Children to embrace her womanhood and improve her self image.
  • Yeah, I'm Pretty Cool – Amanda at Let's Take the Metro writes about her own self love and how she hopes to foster the same self-respect in her children.
  • Who I've Become – The future is bright with That Mama Gretchen who shares her past and present perspective on body image and how she hopes to become a change agent with her daughter.
  • Ever-Evolving Me – Joella at Fine and Fair writes to her daughter about her innate drive to continue learning, growing, and evolving.
  • I love you for your mind – Lauren at Hobo Mama turns a dubious phrase on its head with a little self-loving slam poetry.
  • Stop Think of Love with Your Body – Amy of Peace 4 Parents shares an exercise to gradually transition from hating to loving your body - stretch marks, sags, imperfections, and all.
  • I Love Me! – Jenny @ I'm a full-time mummy shares the things that she loves about herself!
  • caught in a landslide – jaqbuncad of wakey wakey, eggs and bakey! shares a list of reasons why zie loves hir body.
  • Love Your Tree – How do you picture the ways your body and mind change? Amy at Anktangle writes about how trees help her have perspective about her own growth over time.
  • Pumpkin Butt – Zoie at TouchstoneZ writes about how birth and pumpkins are the way to accepting her body
  • I do love me – Shannon at Pineapples & Artichokes talks about the lessons about loving herself she wants to pass along to her daughter.
  • Appreciating Who I Am – Linni at An Unschooling Adventure describes the things she likes about herself and the way she appreciates who she is as a person.
  • I love me! : A journey – Christine at African Babies Don't Cry shares her journey on arriving at the point where she can say: I love me!
  • My Daughter Doesn't Care So Why Should I? – Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama calls herself on the carpet for the image of self love and beauty she portrays in front of her toddler.
  • Finding out who I am – Melissa at Vibrant Wanderings shares an exercise that helped her identify positive qualities she possesses, and how that has helped her learn to love herself.

11 comments:

  1. I *love* the simple and powerful message you've shared! How can we impart to our children that they are beautiful and perfect, if we're constantly picking at ourselves?! Thank you for making that connection, I know it will speak to people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're pretty cool, too, Amanda (FWIW)! I love your attitude and perspective with respect to your self-image. The way you describe it as being "made this way on purpose" really resonated with me, and I'm going to remember that concept when I find I'm getting down on myself for one reason or another. I know you're well on your way to teaching your daughters this way of seeing themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great, Amanda. Simple, clear and inspiring. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to come here first as soon as I had a chance because we titled our posts so similarly.
    I love what you wrote.
    I'm really curious about how your felt growing up and how much positive reinforcement your parents gave you. Basically, do you have this depth of self acceptance "in spite of" your childhood, or partly because of it.
    I believe you came in with a lot of this self knowledge, but environment can do a number on even the most enlightened souls.
    Your children are really fortunate to be able to bask in the coolness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! :)

    Teresa, my mother was always, always, always encouraging to me, telling me I'm beautiful, smart, powerful, etc etc my whole life. She constantly reinforced those ideas in me (maybe because my parents divorced when I was little? maybe just because?) so I did have it as a part of my upbringing.

    On another note, I do feel that I have a great sense of inner peace. I've been unable to do many things before simply because I follow my inner guidance so deeply and intently and I cannot go against it. So yes, I do think I came with peace already, and my mother helped maintain it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really awesome Amanda. So few people, especially women, really truly like themselves. They forget that we look the way we look because that is how we are SUPPOSED to look. This idea that changing who we are, who God made us to be, is such a ridiculous one and one that is only getting more and more complex and being driven home to a younger and younger audience. Good for you for being a powerful and authentic role model for your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its so great to hear somebody who is so at home in their own skin. I firmly believe that your kids WILL pick up on this and be self-confident too. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - how did I miss this carnival post? So awesome Amanda - I can feel your sense of peace and purpose radiating as I read this. Yeah you are so very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm often incognito, Terri, so many things are easily missed :) That's because I'm so cool.

    ReplyDelete