16 March 2011

Brilliant!

Would you like to know how brilliant I am? Well, I'll tell you! I was able to use last night's leftover lentils in a completely new dish! OK, so I'm really not that brilliant, but I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of this and for reusing leftover food in a new way.

At least 6 months ago, I found and bookmarked this recipe on Mothering.com and have wanted to make it ever since, but never got the chance. I've been looking at it a lot in the past few days thinking I would make it during these 40 days of Lent and tonight it hit me. I already had the lentils, so all I'd need to do would be to make the rice and pastas! Brilliant!

Of course, as with most things I do, I did not follow the recipe exactly because I didn't have everything it calls for. I don't have chick peas right now (not that I'd eat them anyway), nor do I have elbow or vermicelli pasta. Instead, I made orzo and shells. Of course I had seasoned the lentils already with cumin and tumeric when the recipe only calls for salt and pepper, but when I added the tomato sauce to them and a little more salt, I thought it was really good! I didn't fry the onions either because I just didn't feel like it, but I think the meal was pretty tasty anyway. We did have a salad beforehand and Piper ate just about every leaf in her bowl. Here she is enjoying the Koushari.





This is definitely a different sort of meal, but as I said, I found it to be quite tasty and look forward to eating my leftover leftovers tomorrow :).

1 comment:

  1. I love finding ways to reinvent leftovers and this sounds like a great one. Must try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete