24 May 2011

My First Curry!

The other night I made curry for the first time and I was so pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out, I've decided to make it a staple in our house. Even Steve ate it! So, in honor of my recent discovery, I'm sharing my very simple recipe with you.


Here is what I used:

1 cup chicken broth
1 can cannelini beans
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1 tbsp corn starch
Hot cooked brown rice
Salt
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Cumin
Curry Powder

-First I sauteed the onions and garlic (not the green onion) until they started to get soft (over medium heat). I drained and rinsed the beans and threw them in, tossing them around a bit.
-To my cup of chicken broth, I added the cornstarch and stirred it until it was combined well. I was hunting around for my curry powder at this point, so I added a little bit of onion and garlic powder and then several dashes of cumin and some salt.
-When I finally found the curry powder, I added about a tablespoon. I stirred in the chicken broth, brought it to a boil and lowered the heat so it could simmer for a bit. I was doing many other things at this time so it sat for at least 10 minutes.
-Just before serving, I threw the chopped green onions in and let them cook just a bit. Of course, you could also leave them completely raw and put them on top of your food, but I think either way is just dandy. I served this mixture over short grain brown rice (mmm, my favorite!)

I plan to do infinite alterations to this recipe in the future - using chicken or maybe beef in substitution for the beans (or addition to). OK, maybe there aren't infinite alterations, but I look forward to trying it a number of ways. Heidi and Piper had 3 helpings each so it's worth a shot!


1 comment: